Monday, November 10, 2008

perfect

since willow's birth, i get this comment a lot:

oh, one of each. the perfect/complete family. how nice.

usually my response is something along the lines of . . . thank you. but what i'm really thinking is . . . complete? not ever. and perfect? not nearly. but, yes, we are done having children.

the thing that gets me is the people who say it. strangers, yes, but also people who know about jesper. people who know that my life, my family, my world is and always will be incomplete without him.

even if i disregard the death of one of my children, what if **i** don't feel like my family is complete? what if i want a dozen children? who are these people to imply (yes, that's what they are doing) that i'm done having children just because i have a boy and a girl now?

sorry, just a rant. i guess what i'm saying is this, stop implying that two kids--one boy and one girl--is somehow the perfect family. nobody can know what is in the heart, mind, or soul of another. admire my children, sure. i love them, too. they are cute and beautiful and look like gerber babies. but leave it at that, please.

3 comments:

Carisa said...

Since having Lilianna I get the same thing all the time! the perfect family, almost making me feel guilty or foolish for even thinking about having a third baby. I can only assume that if Lilianna had been a boy, it would have been the opposite, and everyone would assume that we would try for another so we could have a little girl, and that would be perfectly normal or ok!!

Lisa said...

Perfection is so overrated. Elated? Sure. Full? Yeah, of course. Complete? Never.

I can't tell you how many people just glossed over Gage's entire birth and moved on to "so you're going to try for a girl, right?" It's as if his birth didn't count or some ridiculous thing. I'm starting to wonder if there's really a middle child syndrome or a not-the-right-gender syndrome, you know?

You hit the nail on the head with this post, girl.

chelle said...

I have heard the "million Dollar Family" one girl one boy.

I agree with you though Perfection like beauty is in the eye of the beholder ....